Do you got your “back’s”- Back?
Why Do we neglect our back so much these days?
Our bodies are made up of many systems. The system that is responsible for movement is our musculoskeletal system. Our bodies are mechanically set up to create Forces that are strong enough to cause motion- against Gravity. This is Mechanical Energy- Just another reason to look at our body as a finely tuned machine. Our Trunk is basically One big Lever, that also has smaller lever and pulley systems attached. All of these small mechanical systems are Interdependent of each other, and NONE of them can operate properly without the Spine.
It houses the most important Nuero-Pathway… The Spinal cord. We all know that our brain is directly connected to our limbs… Via the “Spinal Superhighway” aka: spinal cord… This is where our “Nuero-muscular motherboard” has it’s bunker. Considering the importance of this role, it is imperative that we protect our spine- Which directly Protects our ability to obtain movement.
Now… How common is back pain, & why?
Back pain affects 80% of Americans at some time in their lives. It comes in many forms, from lower back pain, middle back pain, or upper back pain to low back pain with sciatica. Common back pain causes include nerve and muscular problems, degenerative disc disease, and arthritis. -WebM.D.
If you look into how common back pain is in 3rd world countries… you will find a staggering difference- and it has to do with the over-Domestication of the human Species.
The human body was not made to sit in front of a computer all day, sit in a car, Go through a drive through for it’s food, and then lay down on a pile of feathers to sleep!! Instead… We are designed to be hunters, gatherers, build our homes, sleep on dirt, and use our “machines” in order to survive.
- So, The biggest culprit of back pain is stationary jobs…. But, since we must, obviously, have them in order to pay our bills and survive, We MUST compensate with exercise in order to keep our backs strong!! After all… It is our Axis and centre of motion
- “The Solution”
- Unfortunately, the way most doctors have been treating back pain is with -pain medicine. All these chemicals do is mask the pain, allowing us to continue the exact motions- that are causing the pain. Pain- is a warning mechanism that our bodies have in order to tell us we are doing damage. So- masking these signals is not only ignoring ‘root’ of the problem,
- but also continuing to make it worse. Chiropractors will put your disks back in place- but never fix the muscular imbalance that pulled them out of place to begin with…. So we are faced with a dilemma…
- The Answer Is Up To Us….. And – YES It Is Free!!
- Corrective & Preventative Exercise. It is that simple… Exercise and stretching!!!!!
- Doctors as well as Personal Trainers and Physical Therapists All break down our body’s movement into different ‘Planes of Motion’. To keep it simple: These three planes are imaginary lines passing through the body, which represent the dynamic planes of motion that the human body is capable of moving through. It’s the way our body moves to create any and all motions… Treating our spine- similar to an Axis.
- So, If our body moves IN planes of Motion- The most Comprehensive Method of training your body- (Especially your Back)…. Is also in these same Directions.
- That is the Basis for our Work out today…
- It’s time to get “Back to the Basics” and strengthen our bodies in a way that it actually needs!! One that targets ALL the exact motions it was designed to make, weather you are picking up a 2 year old or chopping firewood.
- Let’s Do Away with Back Pain- Once and for all!!
- These are Simple Core Strengthening Exercises you can do on the floor of your room. They are targeting the right muscles and using your body’s weight against Gravity in order to strengthen.
- Take out 30 minutes in the morning and knock this out.
- Unless specified differently- You will want to Try to complete 20-30 repetitions of each exercise. (The single sided exercises… complete same amount of reps on each side)
- Repeat each set- 3 times. Enjoy!!!
- There are 4 variations to this Program- Which gives you 4 days a week to do a different Circuit each Day
Bridges: Lie flat on your back & bend your knees at 90-degree angle, feet flat on floor. Tighten abs, and Raise your butt off the floor, keeping abs tight. Tighten your butt and push through your heels. Shoulder to knees should be in a straight line. Hold for a count of 3 and slowly lower buttocks to floor. (Try not to rest your butt on the floor in between each repetition.)
Alternating Superman: Lie on your stomach, with your arms reached out past your head with palms and forehead on floor. Tighten the abs, Lift one arm & the opposite leg Off the ground- @ the same time, stretching them away from each other. (as you also, raise your head and shoulders) Hold for 5 seconds and then switch sides.
Plank: (Hold) Lie on stomach, place elbows and forearms on floor. In a push-up position, balance on your toes and elbows. Keep your back straight and legs straight. (Like a plank) Tighten abs, and hollow out pushing your belly button up towards your spine. Do NOT let your lower back sag! Hold for 20-90 seconds without breaking your form. *If this exercise is too difficult (as it often is for beginners), balance on your knees instead of your toes
Alternating Kicks: Lie flat on back, feet in the air. Bend knees to 90 degrees – thighs vertical and calves legs parallel to floor. Tighten abs.
Lower and straighten right leg toward the floor (as far as you can go without arching your back), while bringing the left knee toward your chest. Pause, Return to start and repeat with opposite side. Remember- Slow and controlled
Side Crunch: Lie on your side, propped up on one elbow- With your body in a straight line. Roll slightly back, so you are on the side of your butt rather than your hip bone. Bring your free hand up by your ear, with your elbow pointing to your toes.. Slowly bend both knees and bring them towards your chest- and take your elbow to meet your knees in the middle. Make sure your knees and elbow touch but do not pass each other.. Completing a crunch on your side.
Wall Squat: (10 Reps.) Stand with your back against a wall, heels about 18 inches from the wall, feet hip-width apart. Tighten abs. Slide slowly down the wall into a crouch with knees bent to 90-degrees. (If this is too difficult, bend knees to 45 degrees and gradually build up from there.) Count to 20 seconds and slide back up the wall- Immediately repeating
Lateral Leg Lifts: Lie on your side, propped up on one elbow- With your body in a straight line, Feet facing the same direction. Stay directly on your hip and raise your leg up high without rotating @ the hip. It should look like a scissor motion. When your leg is fully raised your toes should still be both facing forward and you should feel the hip doing the work. Lower down Slowly and repeat.
If you have weights, cables, or Kettle bells….
Woodchoppers: The resistance or weight should be held by both hands- Starting Above your shoulder @one corner of the body, one arm reached across the body. Using your core- Take the weight across on a diagonal line towards the opposite foot. Make sure to slightly bend the knees and elbows as needed, but ALWAYS keeping your back straight. CONTROL the weight going both directions- And NEVER allow quick- jerking of a twisting motion!
This is Part 1 of a “4 part– DO it @ home” program designed to strengthen your core evenly, using all Planes of motion and alleviate back pain as much as possible- By strengthening or trunk in a well rounded manner.
Tonight- I’ll leak a new recipe for a Mediterranean Sheppard’s Pie…. Soooo Delish’ and super healthy!